Now that the weather is turning colder it’s time to bundle up the kids, but not every child has a warm winter coat and that is why BMG is now getting ready for our annual coat drive. We started in 2011 when a local 1st grade teacher came in to pay her rent in Idaho Falls and told us about how some of the children in her class didn’t have coats for the winter. So, we worked together and have experienced a great response from the communities involved.
Here is how our system works:
1. We contact elementary schools in our area to inform them that we have or will collect coats for their children who need them. The teachers or counselors just need to let us know the sizes needed and if its a boy or girl.
2. People donate money or new and gently used coats in our offices.
3. Elementary teachers, counselors, or others in the community call us to let us know when they identify a specific child that needs a coat.
4. With the help of donations, we do whatever possible to get that child a coat.
5. We put a piece of candy in the pocket and deliver the coats as soon as possible.
To date we have been able to fill all requests for coats, and we have already started receiving requests. Please donate to this great cause if you can, and let us know if there are other children in our communities who need coats.